There's a role for everyone in the theatre! On stage, behind the scenes, in the light booth... theatre is much more than what you see when the curtain rises. In fact, the magic that ultimately unfolds on stage wouldn't be possible without a whole bunch of people and a whole lot of work to make it happen.
BC Applause is the theatre company for Bala Cynwyd Middle School. Everyone is welcome to join BC Applause -- even if you don't want to be part of the play or musical.
Our phrase for the year is purposeful chaos. We'll strive to recognize and embrace the craziness that is theatre while maintaining a safe and welcoming environment and keeping at the forefront our ultimate goal of putting on a successful show.
Based on student feedback, BC Applause has three goals for this year:
- Getting more BC students involved in the shows
- Planning fun events for BC Applause (not show-related)
- Supporting a charity
At the end of last year, students identified several areas to improve:
- Better equipment: In addition to raising money for more walkie-talkies so that crews could more easily communicate during shows, we're working with the school district to update the sound board. Additional equipment upgrades will be discussed with the new crew coaches.
- Student involvement in major decisions: The Board has been involved in show selection this year and will be in charge of company activities such as FPT Days. They'll also have more oversight during rehearsals to make sure things stay on track and that issues are brought to the coaches' attention as soon as possible.
- More organized rehearsals: With the hiring of more coaches, we'll be able to better and more consistently organize rehearsals. The schedule for the entire year will be made available at the BC Applause kick-off meeting so everyone can make plans. We're also planning more workshops throughout the year, not just between shows. And, to make sure things stay on track and that the cast/crews are working together, the coaches will meet regularly outside of rehearsals.
- More free snacks: Selling snacks is a fairly significant source of revenue for us and, as a self-funded organization, we need every penny we make. So free snacks will only be available during set construction on the weekends. You're always welcome to bring your own snacks for after-school rehearsals.
- More fun: With the Board's help, we'll hold more FPT Days and other "extra" activities. Also, having more organization to rehearsals will promote a less stressful, chaotic environment. Last, but not least, more coaches available will help reduce times that students have nothing to do and get bored.
For questions or more information, contact Mrs. Knight at firstname.lastname@example.org.